Why Everyone Should Have a Will
56% of adult Canadians do not have a will. I find this statistic astonishing. I would guess that if you asked these people if they should have a will, most would agree that they should – even if they don’t exactly know why.
In a nutshell, a will is so important for the following reasons:
- Having a will allows you to appoint someone you trust to manage the business of your estate after you die .
- Having a will allows you to appoint a person you trust to hold property until your beneficiaries reach the age of majority
- Having a will allows you to decide who gets your property upon your death, instead of a formula set by the government
- Having a will allows you to make charitable gifts
- Having a will allows you to appoint guardians of your minor children.
When there is no will in place, there are costly legal proceedings, that will not likely provide the results that you would indicate in your will.
We here at the Law Office of Stephen Offenheim understand that it is intimidating, and that your time is precious. We make sure that we efficiently give you useful advice particular to your situation.
Please do not put this matter off any longer.
Make an appointment today.